Dear Seniors and Youth Orchestra,
We invite you to the 9th International Amateur Wind Orchestra Competition Mitteleuropa Blasmusikfest 2018 " which will be held from 26.04 to 29.04.2018.in the northern Adriatic -
- Kvarner Riviera in the new concert hall in Opatija, a well-known tourist destination on the Adriatic Sea, while the solemn parade of wind orchestra and common music(three songs)will be held in the city of Rijeka (the European city of culture of the year 2020) on the famous Rijeka - Korzo (Promenade). All wind orchestras and their escorts from distant places of Croatia and abroad will be located at the Hotel Uvala Scott in Kraljevica, 4 km from the Rijeka Airport.
The aim of the international competition is to increase the quality of amateur work, the development of mutual cooperation of wind orchestras and the popularization of wind music in Croatia and the Central European region and beyond. The orchestras from other parts of the world may also apply to the competition.
The orchestras will compete in three senior categories (A, B, C) and two youth (D and E) categories by the degree of performance weight.
The festival program consists of three parts:
- 1.a. Obligatory contest newly built concert house Drago Gervais in Opatija, 5 km from the city Rijeka.
1.b. Ceremonial parade of all orchestras will be held in Rijeka on the famous city promenade Rijeka Korzo. Orchestras play the songs of your own choice. Afterwards, all orchestras will play together three compositions (Radetzky marsch, Show time and one local song). The organizer is obliged to send scores (Partiture) of these compositions after the official registration at the festival..
- The festive parade of all orchestras takes place in Rijeka on the famous city promenade - Rijeka - Korzo .. The orchestras play songs of their own choice, then all orchestras together they will play three plays (Radetzky march, Showtime (Abel Lex) and a local song). The organizer is committed to the notes of these three compositions after the registration.
- The first international fair for instruments and equipment for the wind orchestra will be held Saturday (28.04) in the great hall of the new concert hall Drago Gervais in Opatija ..
Obligatory part of the competition
Those orchestras that choose to be in more difficult categories, can choose between the highest level, the high level, the middle level and the lowel level. In those four categories they will have to perform three different compositions.
a.) Introductory composition
b.) Obligatory composition
c.) Composition of choice
The order of performance of the obligatory composition and the composition of choice is not set, but has to be duly announced to the jury prior to their performance. The introductory composition will not be graded. This composition has to be a work of a high artistic value.
The choice of the obligatory composition will determine the category to which the orchestra will be assigned to. The composition of choice has to be of the same or of the similar level as the obligatory composition. Instrumental or vocal soloist compositions are not going to be allowed.
The performance time in each of the four categories must not exceed 30 minutes.The orchestras will exchange on stage every 40 minutes.
Each orchestra have to send the organizer five copies of the composition of choice by Februar 25th 2018
a) The highest level: Music for a Festival ( Philip Sparke ) Studio Music Company.
b) High level: Festa Paesana (Jacob de Haan) De Haske Publishing BV
c) Middle level: Legacy (James Swearingen) C. I. Barnhouse Company
d) Lowel level: Thiemo Kraas: Cloud(iu)s…der Wolkenmann, Musikverlag Rundel.
e) Enterance level: A Joyful Journey ( Robert Sheldon ) Alfred Publishing Co
All compositions can be ordered through publishers given below:
Uga 80, 6884 Damüls.
Tel. +43 (05510) 3050
Untere Gewendhalde 27-29
88430 Rot an der Rot
Tel. +49 (08395) 94260
De Haske Publications BV
15, 8440 AS Heerenveen
Tel. +31 (0513) 65 30 53
1. 2. The Obligatory part of Festival
a.) Grand Parade of the Orchestra (City Korzo (Promenade of Rijeka)) the Orchestras are performing wind music( marches ) of free choice .
b) Upon arrival at Rijeka city Korzo orchestras perform together three compositions (after receiving the application of the festival the organizer will send the names of compositions and conductors)
More informations of PROPOSITIONS and FESTIVAL PROGRAM IN
the new web site 05-09.2017
Entry fee to the festival for category A ,B, C D and E is 230€ per orchestra.
All participants will get the festival brochure as a souvenir so that they could
remember this important event that will promote wind music.
On your inquiry we send you the price of accommodation for members of the o
orchestra and escort.
Conductor or manager of the orchestra has free accommodation and food at our
international competition. Also it is possible to come sooner or later to the
competition, price of hotel package is different.
Mitteleuropa Blasnusikfest 2018 Opatija / Croatia.
Opatija is Perle of Adriatic sea !!!!
A girl with a little seagull in her hand,
Opatija in the dark of the day. New open cultural center (hall) Drago Gervais Opatija. Look at the second page...